Posture is the position of an individual’s body while standing ,sitting walking ,sleeping etc. There is no conform rigid standard of body positions. It us not necessary that an individual may always stand in a certain position or sit on a chair in the same position. Posture always changed according to the need and requirement. Even while sleeping one changes his or her position frequently. To stay in the same position for a long period may cause fatigue. Good posture is that in which the body weight is equally balanced or disturbed over both the legs and feet so as to produce no fatigue. Whenever a vertical line is drawn from the center of the forehead, it should divide the body into two equal parts .
In short the posture is the alignment of the body structure and body parts.
CONCEPT OF CORRECT POSTURES-STANDING AND SITTING
Correct posture means the balancing of the body in accurate and proper manner while standing,sitting , reading and writing etc. In a proper posture ,the whole body weight falls on boht feet without any effort and the entire body appears to be in a vertical line .
Good posture makes it possible for the ligaments and muscles to maintain positions of the body movements. The efficiency of the movements depends upon a balance of various forces acting on a body. When one keps a natural balance during activities ie walking ,sitting,standing, playing or working can be called to have good posture. It is very important that every person should cheek his movements and positions to maintain a good posture.
“ACCORDING TO AVERY,” Good posture is one in which the body is so balanced as to produce least fatigue “
CORRECT STANDING POSTURE
- Stand tall.
- When standing infront of a table, the table height should be high enough to permit working without bending over.
- For efficient standing the body segments should be as close as possible to a vertical line through the center of the body.
- try to maintain straight spine position rather bending to the side.
- avoid bending forward or side ways.
- Chin should be up and the head centred over the shoulders.
- the knees should be little bend or almost straight.
- Feet apart about 8 to 12 inches and the body weight should be evenly balanced over both legs and feet.
- the hips should be tucked in.
- the stomach should be flat and not bulging out.
- mainly there are two type of standing . One is standing for short duration and second is standing for long duration.
- For short time the best way of standing is to hold the body in a way with proper alignment of its body part ie the head in between the two shoulder,chin drawn in , the chest thrown forward with shoulder in level, back erect with a natural curves and body weight equally balance over both the legs and feet. Feet slipped a part in a parallel line.
- for second standing position the beat way is to put one feet ahead of the other , in balancing position or one leg can be shifted to the left or right sides and main body weight remains on one leg and other leg acts as a balancing leg . The weight is transferred,giving rest to both the legd turn by turn alternately.
CORRECT SITTING POSTURE
- Simple sitting position– a body well placed on the pelvis hips as back in the chair as possible. Head shoulders and hips should be in line and spine erect with natural curves. Legs should rest vertically on the feet, thighs horizontal, both feet flat on the ground. Both the hands should be resting on the thighs . The head should be placed so as to give comfort to neck.
- Reading sitting position– Reading position is almost same as simple sitting position. But children should sit erect and hold the book at 45* angle and at a distance of 30 cm from the eyes. Both the hands should rest on the table infront and both feet resting on the ground.
- Writing position- the correct writing position is that when children sit straight and for this a chair and table may be used for writing. The children should sit squarely in their seat, body straight or erect and balanced. The position of thighs should be horizontal, legs vertical and feet on the floor.
- sit tall.
- sit in all of chair .
- When sitting in front of a table, the height of the table should be high enough to permit working without bending over.
- The feet should be on the floor flat, with a comfortable distance between feet.
- The back should be straight and spine should not have any curve.
- There should be no bend in the lower back .
Advantages of correct posture
- Physical fitness- the balance , coordinatin, flexibility etc , bieng the components of the physical fitness can be attained easily by a person who is having a good posture. the correct alignment of the body will result in less fatigue and the individual remains active.
- Hygienic value- Correct posture is not only Important for physical appearance but also for health. Correct posture helps in proper and efficient functioning of various organs.
- Grace and efficiency of movements- Physical posture plays a vital role in the field of sports and games. The balance and coordination depends upon physical posture which gives grace as well as efficiency of movements and helps in performance. A person having bad posture will not have efficiency in movements.
- Economic value ( efficient use of energy )- A person with good posture makes less expenditure of energy while performing any type Of activity in comparison to the person having bad posture.
- Physical appearance- It is natural that every individual wants to have a good physical appearance for creating a good impression. In fact, physical appearance depends upon the posture of individual. A person with good posture looks smart and attractive.
- Social value- The people who have good posture are usually admired in every society. They can stand smart among the group. They do not hesitate in public dealing. People with bad posture have a feeling of inferiority. The person with correct posture leaves a long lasting impression.
- Prevent disorders and diseases- correct posture Prevents low back pain , neck strain,disturbance in blood circulation etc. Good posture reduces strain on spine.
- change in mental attitude- Correct posture boosts up self confidence and self esteem while as bad posture results in anxiety, unhappiness etc. A person having good posture develops self confidence which adds to his smartness.
- Less fatigue- An individual feels less fatigue due to less stress on muscle and joint.
- Cause of bad posture
- Pain or past injuries- when we experience pain in our back or neck muscles or any other part of the body, we tend to overcome the pain by holding our body in a different position. When this posture is continued for a long time, it can become a daily habit. Hence ourselves differently can be due to some pain or muscle injury in any part of the body.
- low nutritional state- Our spine and Back need adequate nutrients to grow strong and straight. Low nutrition and lack of vitamins and calcium